THE SERENDIPITY GROUNDS
Click on any of the photos to view the gallery as a slideshow (more photos included) >
THE SERENDIPITY ROOMS
Click on any room below to view images and room information >
ST. MARY'S-ON ALLYN CHURCH
St Mary's-on-Allyn Church was built in 1840 and the cemetery dates from 1852. The cemetery in the grounds of St Mary on Allyn church contains the graves of many of the district's pioneers and is maintained in beautiful condition by the Church community.
In the graveyard are the tombs of William and Mary Phoebe Boydell. The two met aboard the ship which brought them to Australia in 1836. Mary was the daughter of Bishop Broughton, the first & only Anglican Bishop of Australia, who made it a condition of marriage that Boydell build the church for his daughter to worship in.
William Boydell built the church to the Bishop's design, on his property, Caergwrle (Cargirlie), one of the earliest land grants of the district.
A nice touch is the iron gateway with an old gas lamp dangling overhead. There are lancet-arched leadlight windows with timber tracery and a lancet-arched doorway topped by a gable with carved timber bargeboards.
Click any photo below to view as a slideshow (more photos included) >